

Found this restless Map Winged Swift larva on Whiteholme Drain yesterday,at 39mm must be looking for a spot for the winter,and hopefully emerge next spring,as theres no bracken in this area,must have fed on roots of other plants ! poss grasses,there are a few creeping thistles and heather in area where found,it could rapidly move backwards,which when you think about it could be usefull living in a tunnel below ground ! Bri.
5 comments:
Nice one Bri,anything on the wing up there..?
No nowt on the wing,lots of coleophora cases on mainly heath rush also juncus,but not quite as prolific on the latter.
I found a couple of those monster larvae in a rotten log in my garden once. Thought they looked like beetle larvae.
Hi Steve,you havent any pics or details of those you found ? they could well have been beetle larva/ or moth species,also some types of cranefly larva can be found in rotten logs,regards Bri.
Sorry Bri,
I found them when I was busy doing something else, so I only have the mental picture, but they were very similar to your larvae - big, white, with shiny brown heads. Didn't memorise their legs. They were right in with the soft brown rotten wood which I was scooping out to add to my home made potting compost. I'll look again when I'm out there.
Post a Comment