Monday, 5 September 2016

Lee Mount - 4th September

12c, light cloud and no wind but not many moths - but an interesting Spider with very very long legs! maybe a Daddy Long-legs Spider ?
Large Yellow Underwing x 14
Dunbar x 1 very worn
Copper Underwing agg x 2
Orange Sallow x 1
Square-spot Rustic x 1
Garden carpet x 1
Dark Arches x 1
Light-brown Apple-moth x 2


 Unidentified (so far) Spider - total leg span c110mm and a very small body - next to a Garden Carpet
 
 
Orange Sallow
 
Dark Arches - think maybe a bit out of season ?

3 comments:

Gordon Jackson said...

Hi David. It isn't a spider, but a Harvestman - Dicranopalpus ramosus. I did a post about them on the FEET members blog not long ago. I got some nice photos of one by my door. They are very common at Cromwell Bottom. First noted in Bournemouth in 1957, they came from Morocco, now listed as frequent in the UK. Their resting leg position is unique the them. Take a look here:

http://www.psmicrographs.co.uk/blog/post/New-kid-on-the-block-Dicranopalpus-ramosus.aspx

Look for the yellow link of electron micro-graphs lower down the page, their Pedipalps are quite amazing.

By the way, I left you a comment on my Willow Beauty post.

Gordon Jackson said...

I've just cross-posted my Harvestman - Dicranopalpus ramosus post to my own blog:


http://gordonartphotoand3dsci-fi.blogspot.co.uk/

David Sutcliffe said...

Many tanks Gordon. Missed your Willow Beauty comment, seen it now. I will have a look tomorrow - cheers.