Friday, 23 September 2016

More photos of green moth needing ID

Hi Andy.

I assume (hope) you meant more photos of the green moth. So here they are. If you didn't mean that let me know.

I've had a look at quite a few web sites showing the Feathered Rannunclus. There is quite a lot of the Biting stonecrop food plant round the village. Searching has certainly made me dizzy and my eyes are watering now, but worth it, as it does look like that moth to my untrained eye. It would be quite something to find it here in non limestone country.

I suppose it could have migrated from Derbyshire, which is quite close, in a straight line, if it IS that moth. Then again...






5 comments:

AndyC said...

Great record...this is taken off the Yorkshire website.....This is predominantly a coastal moth in the UK and it is doing well in Yorkshire particularly at Flamborough and Spurn. We also have two unusual inland sites where it is recorded regularly; Knaresborough where it has been known since the 1960s and in Calderdale where it was discovered in 2000 and seems to be resident. Records occasionally come from other inland sites but these seem to be wandering individuals.
 

AndyC said...

I have recorded it Northowram with a maximum of 3 in 2103.....and paul Talbot recorded it in the Elland area. Your record is the first for a couple of years..

Gordon Jackson said...

Well, it looks as if it does not need sending to any official recording bodies then. At least it's doing well, so far from the sea. by the way, I mentioned Derbyshire as a Limestone area, I has been recorded there as far as I remember.

David Sutcliffe said...

Looks like that's a very good find - well done.
On the lookout here !!!

Gordon Jackson said...

Thanks David and Andy. Perhaps the clean air of Calderdale agrees with the species?