Thursday, 2 August 2018

Stainland. Late afternoon.

Anne was in the garden this afternoon and disturbed a moth. She saw where it landed and I grabbed my macro system camera. I got three good shots before it flew off. It was a Pale Straw Pearl - Udea lutealis. It's only the third time I've seen this moth, the first was in Whibty about four years ago. The other two were in our garden.

Udea lutealis.

Also, I spotted one Marbled Beauty, grey/black form.

4 comments:

David Sutcliffe said...

I managed one in the garden this afternoon as well Gordon - though it was fading.

Gordon Jackson said...

David, They are very pretty aren't they, even though they are pale. Even Anne said, they were.

She's a great deal better with moths than she was. She used to run away, or panic and cry, due to one of her brothers spending years pretending he had one in his hand and was going to let it go in her face. It's taken me a LONG time to get her over it. She actively looks for them and tries to ID them now.

David Sutcliffe said...

That’s good news then. Which camera / lens do you use Gordon. ?

Gordon Jackson said...

My macro system is a Lumix G5 16MP, with a Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 1:2.8 45mm. It equals a 90mm in 35mm film camera terms.

I also, have a Lumix FZ72 16MP, with an optical zoom giving 20mm to 1200mm and close-up focus of 1cm from the front elemnet of the lens. It's a good all round work horse, the "macro" on it is not at all bad.

I have a Lumix - TZ32 16MP pocket camera, 20x zoom 16MP, 3cm close focus.

I'm a Lumix fan, and a pocket camera is always good to have on hand.