Following on from the Phycitodes species I netted in the garden last week I decided that I would have a go at dissecting it myself as I had found another two days later so I had a spare - what could possibly go wrong?
Nothing as it turns out, I was very pleased with the results. It was a female, not the easier male as I hoped for but I think the prep below is pretty diagnostic of P.saxicola and not maritima as had been suggested. There are some illustrations at the back of the new micro book by Sterling et al.
Even better was to come on the garden moth front this week when I netted what I think is one of the Cacao moths. A worn female, it may be the rare False Cacao Moth or hopefully the less rare Cacao Moth which I haven't seen yet - just wondering whether to dissect this one as well.........



3 comments:
Nice work Charlie As always its getting the time to do it
https://www.norfolkmoths.co.uk/micros.php?bf=14740
and
https://www.norfolkmoths.co.uk/micros.php?bf=14740&abh=62.065&prev=yes
NM say - One of six very similar species of Ephestia found in the UK, which are generally separable only by dissection of the genitalia.
Both have the typical zig zigging on the wing if you look hard enough paint brush job I think Charlie
Excellent work Charlie..just goes to show why they need gen det.....
Post a Comment