Andy and Colin ID'd what I thought was a Large Yellow Underwing, as a Common Rustic. I've corrected it lower down the page.
Quite a busy night at Gordon's moth cafe. Recorded at 3 am. Numbers first, the images.
11 x Blastobasis sp.
4 x Marbled Beauties.
4 x Eudonia sp. (Mixed).
2 x Common Footman. (I've never seen so many as I have this year,)
2 x Willow Beauty. (1 dark, 1 light form).
Now the images.
Most of these photos were taken with my FZ72, this meas using the zoom from about 8 feet away. The camera does not like zooming at close distance and soon can't focus. I have to crop the images. Some turn out as poor images, sorry.
Another first for me. A Dun Bar, and quite pretty.
Dun Bar.
I think this is a Large Yellow Underwing, but am not sure.
Common Rustic.
I know that people will see the next and all will know what it is. Except me. I didn't find one that looked like it, when trying to get an ID. It seems very delicate and ethereal, almost translucent. I'm sure it's common...
ID Needed please.
I'd forgotten we had to go out this morning. I've just be reminded, oops! I hadn't time to ID this and it's a poor shot. I wondered if is was a Carpet, I don't know. I just wanted to get this post out, before I get my wrists slapped, (again). It's a hard life. :-)d I hope it's recognisable.
ID Needed.




3 comments:
In the absence of comments your LYU looks like a Common Rustic the other a Small Fan Footed Wave with the hind winds not fully revealing and the third ?? is at an awkward angle query size ?? Open To Correction
Agree with colin ..Lesser / Common Rustic
Thank you both for the ID of a Common Rustic. Colin, thanks. I looked at my "ethereal" moth, I can see you are correct now. I think I was confused by the strange pinkish colour and the fact it seemed translucent. I think it's down to the interplay between the flash and the low energy security light. As for the brown and black moth, the angle is unavoidable, I was shooting upwards from several feet away. I can't get noisy ladders out at that time of night. I'd not be very popular! It's size, was about 1 inch across. Hard to judge it better than that it was high up on the fan light. I was hoping the colour/pattern was the main clue.
Post a Comment