I looked at all the Yponometudae that were similar to this one. I'm a bit confused. All the photos of them in Manley, show a row of small black dots at the tail, (not the right term I know). This row on ALL of them is a curve like a letter U. The extreme "points" of it are towards the head of the moth. The photo below does not show a row like that. The lowest row is composed of large dots, pointing down to the tail at each end. An inverted letter V in fact. That was a clumsy description, I'm sorry. I don't understand why this one is different to the rest. Help?
Apple Ermine. TBC,
Now for the moth count. I'm on safer ground here.
5 x Marbled Beauties.
5 x Blastobabsis sp.
4 x Edonia sp. (If it helps, Some were narrow, dart shaped. Others were noticeably larger and broader).
3 x Agriphila tristella. (One was close enough to ID. The others were just out of reach but looked exactly the same).
1 x Willow Beauty pale form. (It would fly for a few seconds, settle for a short time, then fly again. I watched the moths for 10 minutes, It did that all the time).
1 x Common Footman.
1 Lesser Yellow Underwing. (I just got close enough to get a good look, then it flew. It's a surprise when the yellow pops out. Which is the idea of course).
Also, the same as the night before, there were three medium sized brown moths flying to the light, then to me and back to the light. As I said, I spent 10 minutes watching them, hoping one for one to settle. Not a chance, I've idea what they were. Blasted things.

No comments:
Post a Comment