Friday, 1 June 2018

Marsh Pug colony???

Out and about at Copley this morning I noticed this day-flying pug - I think it's the first I've ever seen on the wing - I thought it was a mint moth type at first. When I saw it was a pug I tried to capture it with camera and pot but to no avail. However, 10 minutes later it or another reappeared a few yards away and I managed just one shot with the camera. I was struck by the concave leading edge and rather pointed wings. I fancifully considered Marsh Pug, and when I read that it flies by day especially around it's foodplant it got me wondering which plant it was nectaring on. Now I'm no botanist but that looks rather like Field Mouse-ear to me...........


One for Colin to ID is this humongous beetle type - I suspect it's one of the longhorns?

The main target of the trip was to find Micropterix calthellas on buttercups but the best I could manage was this M.aruncella male. Also on buttercups were one of the plain-winged female types and c10 Cock'sfoot Moths.
 

This Bactra lancealana was at Hollas Lane Nature Reserve.

Not too great on female type swifts - any ideas. Also from  Hollas Lane Nature Reserve.



3 comments:

AndyC said...

Marsh Pug is looking very good and one I have looked for on many occasions,,,another first for calderdale and one I will have to come down and see...cheers

Colin D said...

Hello Charlie Great Set of Interesting Images Your beetle is a Longhorn fairly common along the Calder its called Golden-bloomed Grey Longhorn - Agapanthia villosoviridescens http://www.ukwildlife.net/beetles/cerambycidae/agapanthia_villosoviridescens.htm

Great to hear from Andy :-) for one minute I thought he may have retired

charlie streets said...

Hi Andy,

I'm pretty sure it's Marsh Pug - Charlie Fletcher's had a look and is okay with it.The plant it's nectaring on is Common Mouse-ear.
I'll be at Cromwell Bottom from about 8.30pm onwards tonight, the café will be open for drinks.

Hi Colin,
Thanks for the beetle ID - it was a spectacular looking beast!