Saturday, 12 August 2017

Stainland, 12 August.

I woke this morning to a personal record of Marbled Beauties, all at the same time. I really can't say why, but they are one of my favourite moths.

7 Marbled Beauties.
1 Blastobasis adustella.
1 Mother of Pearl.

I have only just discovered that the Blasobasis adustella has a couple of common names - Dingy Dowd and Furness Dowd. It's strange that I never picked up on that before. Ah, well you learn something new every day. I wouldn't normally post yet another photo of Blastobasis a. It's a little big-headed of me, but it's the best photo of one I've ever taken.

Blastobasis adustella.

Of the Mother of Pearl - Patania_ruralis, Wikipedia has this to say: "Scientists used the rolling behaviour of the caterpillar as a model to create next-generation robots that roll". Who'd imagine that such a small moth could have such an impact of robotics? Sadly, the specimen below is yet another that has been scorched in an un-shielded MV moth trap, I see so many like this by my door, it's such a shame.

Mother of Pearl.

6 comments:

charlie streets said...

Gordon,
It not burnt, just worn as a lot are at this time of year - it's not Mother of Pearl either.........

Andrew Cockroft said...

Looks like single dotted wave...or the like

Andrew Cockroft said...

They get that burn off any lIght and also from flying into any object..

Gordon Jackson said...

A single dotted wave, yes, could be, I struggled with this. Thanks. Charlie has told me before that he doesn't think the red/orange bald spots on moths are burns. I have a a photo of a fairly large moth with a big bald area and a deep gash in the centre which was healing. Poor things.

Andrew Cockroft said...

In fact I think it's a small fan footed wave. ..

Andrew Cockroft said...

In fact I think it's a small fan footed wave. ..