7 Marbled Beauties.
1 Blastobasis adustella.
1 Mother of Pearl.
I have only just discovered that the Blasobasis adustella has a couple of common names - Dingy Dowd and Furness Dowd. It's strange that I never picked up on that before. Ah, well you learn something new every day. I wouldn't normally post yet another photo of Blastobasis a. It's a little big-headed of me, but it's the best photo of one I've ever taken.
Blastobasis adustella.
Of the Mother of Pearl - Patania_ruralis, Wikipedia has this to say: "Scientists used the rolling behaviour of the caterpillar as a model to create next-generation robots that roll". Who'd imagine that such a small moth could have such an impact of robotics? Sadly, the specimen below is yet another that has been scorched in an un-shielded MV moth trap, I see so many like this by my door, it's such a shame.
Mother of Pearl.


6 comments:
Gordon,
It not burnt, just worn as a lot are at this time of year - it's not Mother of Pearl either.........
Looks like single dotted wave...or the like
They get that burn off any lIght and also from flying into any object..
A single dotted wave, yes, could be, I struggled with this. Thanks. Charlie has told me before that he doesn't think the red/orange bald spots on moths are burns. I have a a photo of a fairly large moth with a big bald area and a deep gash in the centre which was healing. Poor things.
In fact I think it's a small fan footed wave. ..
In fact I think it's a small fan footed wave. ..
Post a Comment