Tuesday, 29 August 2017

Stainland. Early Evening 29 Aug. 2017.

Anne and I were doing some Autumn gardening when she disturbed three moths.

2 x Garden Carpets.
1 x Light Brown Apple moth.

I assume that there will be a lot more LBA moths and Garden Rose Torts in our garden, also several other small ones. We have a large hedge for them to hide in, plus many small shrubs in pots.

Garden Carpets.

In case anybody was wondering, I always remove as many spider's webs that are near moths as I can. I know spiders have to eat, but I'd rather not have the moths which visit us killed by them. I did remove the webs in the above photo, but only after I took the shot. Garden Carpets are readily disturbed, I didn't want to miss the chance of a photo.

3 comments:

David Sutcliffe said...

I do the same Gordon with the spiders and webs around the light trap. Those spiders don't half move quick when something gets in them - they pounce ! I hate to see the nice moths get trapped.
Though some of the larger moths seem to fly straight through them but the web must restrict their movements for a while.

Gordon Jackson said...

Davis: Spider silk, in general, is widely regarded as the strongest natural fabric known, at least half as strong as a steel thread of the same thickness, and much more elastic.

http://www.spiders.us/faq/how-strong-is-a-spider-web/

Spiderweb and moss was used on wounds in the past. it's very sticky stuff too.

Gordon Jackson said...

David, if you are interested, there are quite a few good videos on how spiders build webs. I watched one make a web in our garden a few years ago, it was amazing. You can see them do it at the following links:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Y9K1H6Yn6o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WBln5lD42Y