Saturday, 25 April 2009

Caloptilia syringela - Hebden Bridge



Nice to follow charlie's post with this one as todays highlight for me and another micro. I was sat this evening in the last sun enjoying a pint after work and saw something landing on a leaf out the back door. Shot out with a pot and bingo! it was a micro. Now, I believe this is a very common chap but if he were scalled up to macro moth size he would surely rival the most spectacular of species.


This species is completely new to me and I only managed to identify it by remembering it was the same shape and stance as the Caloptilia we cought on the field trip to Withens res' so I am learning from our trips. also managed to get a pic of him too so extra chuffed


Winston



5 comments:

AndyC said...

Nice shot winston and well remembered,Hope to be up withens Clough car Park again on Monday if the weather is any good.

Winston said...

ah, good. Well I read recently that female emperors arive early in the night so fingers crossed.

I have a work meeting in London on monday but will be back pm. May well not feel like coming out again however. Will see how I feel on the night

Win

charlie streets said...

Nice shot Winston, not only a very fresh looking one but also in a natural resting position - not always easy with this family - they always seem very agitated and jumpy with me!

Winston said...

Thanks Charlie

It was a real little jewel, but looking at the wider group of the Gracillariidae it seems there are brighter jewels still.

Have you noticed that with these when in their natural position their antenae are held along their sides and then unsettled they are waved wildly ahead of themselves!

Win

charlie streets said...

"Have you noticed that with these when in their natural position their antenae are held along their sides and then unsettled they are waved wildly ahead of themselves!"


Exactly, that's what I meant by natural resting position, they can try the patience of a saint before they calm down (that's if they ever do!)