Wednesday, 22 April 2009

Emperor Revisited


Hi All


Set out again today to try and see the elusive Emperor Moth at Whiteholm Drain. The weather became cloudy again but strong sunny spells remainedall afternoon. Two possible sightingsin the distance of large orange looking insects flying really powerfully, then a third. I was off after this one. With me I had a large fishermans landing net with a 9 foot pole! After leaping over ditches and through muddy pools I made one final dive and had the Emperor in the net. This net is so big that I could put the camera under it too to get the pics shown here, enjoy.


Paul has made some comments on my last post to help us understand how this species operates.


Possibly the most impressive thing I have ever seen.


Also 1 x Common Heath, 1x Eriocrania sp, 1x unk micro oh and 2x redshank (also new)


Yours (in excitement) Winston


2 comments:

Paul Talbot..aka Moffman said...

Hi Winston...well done mate, persistance does pay off. BUT its a darn sight easier if you have female caged :-))

For once you had better weather than us here on the Llyn, its been 100% cloud cover, windy and damp all day with more of the same tomorrow sadly :-((

charlie streets said...

All comes to he who waits - or charges around pennine moorland like a maniac with a big net - well done :-))