Tuesday, 28 June 2016

Lee Mount - 27th June

An interesting couple of hours until midnight with 2 new ones to check (?)
I am pretty sure the first 2 shots are of a Coxcomb Prominent - it threw me a bit until I saw it with it's wings closed and side on view when I noticed the white coxcomb whereas in the first shot I just thought it was worn plumage where it looks pale!.

 Coxcomb Prominent
 
This other new moth is, I'm a pretty sure, a Coronet but which one ? Forewing length c15mm.
I lean towards Varied Coronet but not 100% sure. A stunning moth whichever it is !
Varied Coronet (confirmed)
Varied Coronet (confirmed)
 
Totals
Coxcomb Prominent x 1
Varied Coronet x 1  (updated 30th June) - confirmed id via Andy and a first for Calderdale)
Clouded Border x 1
Heart and Dart x 3
Anania coronata x 1
Common Marbled Carpet x 1
Green Oak Tree Tortrix x 1
Dark Arches x 1
Peppered Moth x 1
Brown House Moth x 1
Flame Shoulder x 1
unidentified micro x 1 (photo below)
 

7 comments:

AndyC said...

Get some more pics of V . Coronet not been recorded locally before, I'm away at the moment with no books etc but looks good to me ....Coxcombe are one of my favourites very smart when they put there wings up...

David Sutcliffe said...

Interesting... these are the only 2 photos I have.

charlie streets said...

Dave, with moths, particularly micros that often don't rest in a flat position, a clear shot at right angles to just one wing (in the case of this micro a side on shot) is most helpful for ID.
And as with birds size helps as well.

David Sutcliffe said...

Thanks Charlie - ah that's why they show them side on in the field guides !

charlie streets said...

Yes, I'm leaning towards Varied as well not that I've seen either. Maybe it's a gen det job?

AndyC said...

Looks like Varied , will send it to C.Fletcher for confirmation,,,will let you know

David Sutcliffe said...

Thanks Andy