Saturday, 9 May 2020
FOX Moths
So i returned to Soil Hill tonight and at 20.10 there were moths flying up around the top field , I could not catch one they were so fast ,there were about 25 + in all directions , I could not catch one for about 10 minutes...Eventually one got stuck in a spiders web, and I caught it .... Fox Moth ,excellent
Last nights moths
Foxglove Pug x 1
Rustic Shoulder Knot x 1
Small Magpie x 2
Gracillaria syringella x 1
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



4 comments:
Great to get Fox Moth adults Andy with a bit of hard work !. The books seem to suggest sunny daytime observations for males and the females at night. Great shots. Not seen an adult yet (day or night). Caterpillars -yes !
Its a bit of a mystery as to why there are so many up there..will have to drop CF a line,as I have only ever seen singles in the trap and maybe one flying across the moors at break neck speed..?/ They were popping out every time a put my foot down..really thought they were male Emps looking for a female till I caught one...!!
I might try the golf course one evening if conditions are right and I get 'unlocked' as that's where I have come across most cat's, well there and Cold Edge dams. Are Northern Eggers a possibility up there too ?
They are fast and you need a net......if you want to catch one ..NE are a bit later but yes deffo..
Post a Comment