Saturday, 23 May 2020

Mixenden plantation etc

I went through there this morning, and on the return, checked quite a number of the older Scots Pines for signs of any moths camouflaged on the fissured bark.

Nothing doing at all other than a good number of large flies hiding there in the blustery cool wind, first thing.

No moths.... then a Treecreeper passed me and shinned up one of the nearby pines. It caught a moth, maybe slightly larger than a Heart and Dart. Scoffed it in one just as the moth opened it's wings and the bird downed the lot, wings and all. No time for identification... it was gone !!!
-----------------------
When I got home I found a couple of insects that I first thought were micros. Turned out they were bugs, later found in  ''Insects of Britain and Ireland'. A species found on Oak, May to June. I suspect they got blown off the nearby oaks in the direction of the house during the strong wind the last couple of days.
I'm pretty sure I have the correct identification - but it's quite a mouthful !
Dryophilocoris flavoquadrimaculatus

3 comments:

Gordon Jackson said...

I agree David, It's a Dryophilocoris flavoquadrimaculatus.

Gordon Jackson said...

I forgot to add, it's a mirid, Many of the mirids have acttractive markings. You should find plenty of Grypocoris stysi along the canal bank, feeding on umbellifers, nettles and white bryony. You find them in woodlands all over the UK. I got some nice shots of Grypocoris stys a while ago. They have red eyes, the camera flash made them glow. Nice, photogenic insects. Cromwell Btm has a range of mirids, if they catch your fancy.

David Sutcliffe said...

Thanks Gordon. Interesting and helpful. I look out for insects but so many seem confusing with similarities to each other. If I can get a photo (not always easy!!) I will have a go at identification which in the end is more satisfying if it can be named.