Saturday, 9 May 2020

Large Pale Clothes Moth Tinea pallescentella

Rishworth - The First for Calderdale!!

I had an interesting micro moth in the house at approximately 22:00 last night, I didn't think much of it at the time but I flicked through the Micro Moth Bible and found it looked very much like a Large Pale Clothes Moth so I sent the picture on this post to CF who said it was definitely one of the Tineidae and asked for the wing length so I replied 11.5mm and he sent back:-

'Hi Edward,

So if it is a big chap like that then it must be Tinea Pallescentella like you say. There aren't a lot of records but I think it is under-recorded. I had one in the house in 2007. It's the only one I've ever seen. There are only 13 records on the database; four for VC63. The nearest one being an ancient one from Huddersfield.

Cheers


Charlie'

AC has confirmed it is a first for Calderdael so excellent news! Any comments welcome.




                                                Large Pale Clothes Moth:- Click on the picture to enlarge.

3 comments:

AndyC said...

Excellent Yorkshire record ..well done

AndyC said...

The last one in VC 63 was in 1883 ,,,,137 years ago..just shows what an outstanding record that is...

Edward Evans said...

Thank you Andy, I didn't know about 137yeard!