Tuesday, 11 August 2020

Lesser- Swallow Prominent - update...

 On 29th July I did a post on a partial success of 4 Lesser Swallow Prominents emerging and flying off on 27th July after the eggs were laid on 27th April. I went through the process etc on that posting.

I was left with the potential of a further seven that did not emerge. I checked them today, as I thought they might have gone off or been victims of a parasite or fungus. I emptied the boxes of seed/cuttings compost and found 4 pupa and another 3 still wrapped in compost. They looked ok but how could I tell ?. The pupa moved when I touched them !!! that was a surprise, to me anyway.

I re-potted them at around 20mm depth with the same depth beneath them - so see what happens now ??

Leaves me with some questions - why didn't these emerge at the same time as the others when they all pupated on or around the same date ? When will they emerge - this year / next year? We'll see !!!

7 Pupa with three still 'wrapped up' after they buried themselves in the compost on c15th June

These ones moved when I touched them today !! (c20mm)

Empty cases from the 4 that emerged on 27th July

1 comment:

Edward Evans said...

Dave, if it moved when you touched it that means the moth inside is well forned it should emerge soon enough.