Friday, 15 May 2009

Thistles


Hi all

A little challange for you all and one that Charly should have no disagreements with as the plant is dead easy to ID :-))


Personally I like to pick out a plant and observe it during a whole year to see what I can find entomological wise visiting or breeding on it. One plant I always wanted to get around to and for one reason and another never did in Calderdale was Thistles. It has a huge possible list of lepidoptera and plenty of other insects that utilise it.


On the old Lowfields site before it was developed were nice areas of thistle. I regularly found 1458 Thistle Ermine (Myelois circumvoluta) sitting on the plants at dusk and truly spectacular it is as can be seen in the photo which I "borrowed" from my mate Ian Kimbers website. I only found Thistle Ermine and the cases of Coleophora peribenanderi on Thistles so there is a huge range of species and ecology you can discover over the coming year on a easily found and recognised plant. Its also a great opportunity to record many firsts for Calderdale both as species and confirmed breeding when larvae are found.
A quick look on Ians website gives a list of 32 species that can be found on Thistles. So Charly when you have rested some more I am looking forward to seeing some more of your superb photos of the various things found on Thistles. Link to Ians site with list of species

2 comments:

charlie streets said...

Well, I'll be, I never knew that you could search Ian's site for plants and other non mothy type things!! You live and learn.

Paul Talbot..aka Moffman said...

Hi Charly
Wait until you see what Ian, Ben and I have been working on for his search engine !