Sunday, 15 July 2018

Last night

Just as I was leaving Cromwell bottom last night , I saw a Carpet sp flying around the light it was one of the tricky Xanthorhoe species one of my favourite groups (turned out to be Dark barred twin spot carpet ) . It was lost to view just as I saw it , the one that got away ...damm. As i got home I had left my trap on and had a quick look before bedtime. A Xanthorhoe species was in the trap flying around. I potted it up at put it the fridge for identification latera (a very smart Miller as well)  . ......I had a look in the morning ......RED CARPET Xanthorhoe decloraria..................Its a funny old game............There are a few old records for this high mountain species with one near Widdop on the 24th July 1897 and 1926 .



1 comment:

David Sutcliffe said...

What a beauty, some obviously wander from their normal patch.