Thursday, 26 July 2018

Shroggs landfill

Perfect conditions there for loads of butterflies - but fewer than I expected probably due to the lack of flowering species after the last flush. Just a few small clumps of Willow Herb species in flower now and a few Ragwort then it was down to the grasses.
Large White x 10
Small White x 11
Green-veined White x 1
Meadow Brown x 1
Speckled Wood x 5
Small Skipper x 5
Small Copper x 3
Peacock x 1
Comma x 1
Udea lutealis x 4
Grasshoppers x 2

I don't think I did so badly after all !

Then the Fire Service turned up after billowing smoke emerged from the woodland area. The shrub/tree layer is so dense they had difficulty finding the source of the fire but they got it sorted.

3 comments:

AndyC said...

Got a count off some one in Mythomroyd today of 50 + Peacocks feeding on Budlia on some old bit of waste ground....

AndyC said...

great numbers Small Coppers are having the best year , they seem to be all over the place.

David Sutcliffe said...

Those waste ground sites are very precious !! Yes, I've never had so many Small Coppers, they are great to see.