Wednesday, 15 July 2020

Skippers A Few "Tips"

Further to Andy's post 

A few comments to date having regard to differential ID on this Confusion Species  I have never seen an Essex other than one possible query candidate at Glapthorne with Andy but no image etc 

I'll post some detailed shots of the Small Skipper Antenna Tips but as pointed out in the video on Essex shiny black ink like with a clear differential line on the tip 

On the Black wing mark as I take this to be the sex brand found on males so females will perhaps add to the complexity of identification When considering the features such as Size , Habitat Phenology  ( emergent time ) etc it should be remembered that those are not definitive pointers and their is considerable overlap but can contribute to an overall positive siting 

Small


Large






General

2 comments:

AndyC said...

Thanks Col....all we need now is some half decent weather...cheers

AndyC said...

Next hot couple of days its Cromwell for me or Hollas Bridge..I reckon...