Saturday, 18 July 2020

Stainland.

I took a stroll to Eve's Top quarry yesterday. Considering it was breezy and cloudy, there were quite a few butterflies and moths about. I wasn't going to take a camera. In the end, I put Anne's pocket compact in my jacket. Next time I'll know better and take one of my cameras.

Butterflies.
 21 x Ringlets.
10 x Small Heath.
8 x Gatekeepers.
7 x Whites. (All too far away to ID).
2 x Red Admirals.
1 x Small Tortoiseshell.

Moths.
1 x Shaded Broad-Bar. (A first for me, if it is, but I'm not sure I got the ID right).
1 x Udea lutealis. (Unable to get a good photo).
1 x Mottled Beauty. (I'm confused. I can't decide if it's a Mottled B. or a Willow B. It's quite worn. That's  inspite of  the help sheet Andy provided. .

Now the photos, moths first.

 Shaded Broad-Bar. TBC.

The moth below was on my door this morning. I thought I'd put it with yesterdays finds.

Mottled Beauty, worn. TBC.

Butterflies.


I spent a long time deciding what the one below is. I settled on a very worn Ringlet. I came across five like it, over a fairly wide area. If you look at the top right wing, you can see what must be the remnant of the second spot. You can see a mark on the right wing but it's not as obvious.

 Very worn Ringlet. TBC.

I think this is a male Gatekeeper. I couldn't get any closer to it.

Male Gatekeeper?

Red Admiral.
End.

4 comments:

Edward Evans said...

mottled beaut for me...

David Sutcliffe said...

A nice selection there Gordon. I like those Shaded Broad-bar. A nice moth to find in the grass on a nice sunny day. I wish I could get Gatekeepers a little more often up this end of Calderdale.

AndyC said...

Great selection.

Gordon Jackson said...

Thnak you all. I've not seen a Shaded Broad-bar before, but they really are nice. Two firsts for me, I'm very pleased.