Friday, 24 July 2020

Stainland.

Theis tea time, Anne found a moth in the hall. A Purple Thorn. It was in a terrible place to get photos of. I had to hold the camera upsidedown so the flash could reach it. It's now in a very shelterd spot in the garden.

This moth is re-named correctly. See comments below.

Second generation Early Thorn.

Second generation Early Thorn.

6 comments:

AndyC said...

Gordon its a second generation Early Thorn...Purple Thorn hold there wing open and Early as this one closed and straight up.....................

Edward Evans said...

Yes agree with Andy.

Gordon Jackson said...

Ah! Thank you. For whatever reason, I'd decided Early thorn's were early in the year. I've photographed Earlie's before, I must just have forgotton. Thanks to both of you.I'll re-name it now.

Edward Evans said...

The second picture is excellent Gordon.

Gordon Jackson said...

Edward, thank you. It wasn't easy to take photos. I had to lie on the small hall floor, doubled up, and on my right side, very cramped. Then turn the camera upside down and lean my head against the wall sideways. Most of the shots were rubish. I had a hell of a struggle to stand up afterwards. Plenty of grunting and swearing. It would have made a good video for the long winter nights. Ah, the joys of photography!

Edward Evans said...

I can imagine! The worst things I have to photograph is when the moths are ramme miles down an eggbox hole