Sunday, 19 July 2009

Last nights trapping



I thought I might get away with a break in the weather last night, so the trap went out, the towel went across at 5am but when I got up the whole thing was soaked with the rain. Nevertheless I did manage a good number of moths and if anyone can identify the few that I cannot I would appreciate it.

8 Common Footman
6 Light Emerald
1 Clouded Border
1 Buff Arches
1 Common Swift
15 Large Yellow Underwing
2 Gothic
1 Yellow Shell
1 Lesser Yellow Underwing
1 July Highflyer
1 Lesser Broad Bordered Yellow Underwing
1 Purple Thorn
Also lots of micro moths, but I'm not ging down that path yet.

6 comments:

charlie streets said...

Hi Chris,your micro is 658 Carcina quercana with antennae as long as it's wings. I'll leave the macros to those that are more familiar with them.

Charlie.

Chris said...

Charlie

Thanks for the ID, It was a nice little moth but I'll stick to the big ones first and work down in size.

brian leecy said...

Hi Chris,i think top 1s common/lesser rustic g det job,2nd is a common lutestring a good record,3rd c/lesser common rustic again g det job,4th as Charlie said,and last is a minor species another tricky id job,either marbled/tawny marbled/rufous g det job.all the best Bri.

charlie streets said...

Chris, some micros can be "quite" large and distinctive - Mother of Pearl for example.If I were you I'd just stick to the ones you can identify to start with regardless of size or family.

AndyC said...

Looks like you trap is working well now Chris a good cathc there,agree with the id of Charlie and Bri.I had a Small Tortoiseshell in the trap last night? along with 2 Early thorn(2nd generation)3 Silver Y and my first scalloped oak of the year.

Chris said...

Thanks to everyone for the ID help.

Charlie - I'll take your advice and work through the ones I can at the moment, I guess it is like any new thing, the more you see the more you know.

Andy - my trap seems to be bring in the moths. I am going to try with the MV light for a few hours tonight and then revert back to the actinic for the rest of the night, hopefully there should be a collection of goodies in the morning.